For the most part, American homeowners have two primary choices when it comes to their driveways: concrete or asphalt. These two materials make up 90 percent of all the driveways in the country (the remaining 10 percent include expensive specialty materials like gravel and cobblestone). While asphalt generally comes with lower up-front costs, concrete offers an abundance of advantages that more than offset that initial price difference in the eyes of many homeowners. In this post we’ll look at some of the most important benefits that come with having a concrete driveway.
Concrete driveways are renowned for their lifespans, with most lasting between 25 and 50 years. For reference, asphalt driveways typically last somewhere between 12 and 25 years. That means homeowners can continue to use a concrete driveway for roughly twice as long as an asphalt one. For many families, that’s the difference between keeping the same driveway for the entire length of time they’ll occupy a home and having to do a
total replacement after just a decade or two.
Superior Curb Appeal
Asphalt is a standard choice for driveways across America, and thus does not generally enhance or detract from a home’s curb appeal. Concrete, on the other hand, with its soft gray color and smooth yet firm texture, gives homes weight, solidity, and even a pinch of grandeur. The multitude of options, meanwhile—including colored, stamped, and exposed aggregate—means homeowners have the chance to find a style that perfectly complements their home’s architecture and overarching aesthetic.
Lower Maintenance Costs
In addition to lasting longer than asphalt, concrete is a highly durable material that does not require significant maintenance. While asphalt driveways tend to get blighted over time with potholes, cracks, and jagged fissures, concrete will suffer far fewer imperfections. Homeowners with concrete may want to apply a layer of sealant around their driveways once a year, but that’s pretty much the extent of its maintenance requirements. There’s no fretting over what to do about the unsightly crater in the middle of your driveway, or the chunk of asphalt coming loose under your car.
While concrete driveways may require a greater initial investment than their asphalt counterparts, they make up for it in a plethora of valuable ways. Homeowners that opt for concrete will have a driveway that lasts decades, requires minimal maintenance and repairs, and increases the overall visual appeal of their property. Call our office today to explore whether a concrete driveway is right for your home.